
India's Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday said it views the reported U.S. proposal to charge international graduates $100,000 for the Optional Practical Training program as a matter of concern, and that it will take up the issue with American authorities.
Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal told reporters in New Delhi that while immigration policy is a sovereign right of every country, India will actively raise and protect the interests of its students. He did not specify what steps India might take or whether formal discussions with the U.S. government had begun.
The proposed fee, first reported by U.S. media, would apply to foreign graduates seeking to remain in the country for work experience under OPT, a program that allows international students to work for up to three years after completing their degrees. Indian students are among the largest beneficiaries of the program, with tens of thousands participating annually.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has not confirmed the proposal, and it remains unclear whether the fee would apply retroactively or only to new applicants. If implemented, it would mark a significant increase from the current application cost, which is under $500.
The MEA's response comes amid broader bilateral discussions on mobility and talent, with both countries having launched initiatives to ease legal immigration pathways. Indian officials have previously raised concerns about visa backlogs and fees that disproportionately affect Indian students and workers.
Highlighted words show why each story was matched

NRI Herald • July 31, 2026

NRI Herald • August 21, 2026

NRI Herald • August 17, 2026

NRI Herald • August 18, 2026